Download our FREE smartphone app today!
More Able Learners
Our goal is that all more able learners have aspirations, opportunities and experiences that stretch and challenge them beyond their context.
In order to achieve our goal stated above, we endeavour to achieve the following four aims:
- To provide opportunities both within and beyond the classroom to support students to demonstrate their full potential.
- To create an ethos which celebrates excellence and where gender stereotypes are dismantled and transcended.
- To raise the aspirations and life chances of all students, celebrating diversity and individual talents.
- To involve and encourage parents and carers in supporting the needs of their children, both within and beyond school.
How Harris Academy Wimbledon provides for More Able Learners
- Harris Academy Wimbledon aims to meet the needs of More Able students through planned provision that identifies learning outcomes, which challenge and extend our most able students. Students are streamed to enable their teaching to be further tailored to their needs.
- The curriculum is personalised and ensures student progression. It offers a broad range of opportunities, so students can experience and investigate their talents in all sorts of areas. Students have access to an outstanding range of subject specific enrichment and extra-curricular programmes.
- We recognise that More Able students need early, tailored and aspirational advice and guidance on progression opportunities to Higher Education, particularly progression to the most prestigious universities. First generation university students and especially those eligible for the pupil premium will receive specific guidance tailored to their needs.
Philosophers Academy Programme
Students identified as having the potential for progressing to Russell Group and Oxbridge universities are selected for our prestigious Philosophers Academy. The students will be given opportunities to build aspirations and cultural capital through; teleological and deontological debates; presentations from academics and institutions; and meetings with local business leaders and forward thinkers. This serves to build confidence in our students’ academic direction. This in turn creates a genuine and independent thinker, capable of communicating their interests and passions in their personal voice.
Students identified as having enthusiasm or talent for a specific subject that results in outstanding progress have a chance of being selected for our Scholars Programme. This offers the chance for students to build an extensive knowledge and passion for their subject due to the wider academic opportunities afforded them. These include; engagements with speakers involved in Higher/Further Education in that subject; presentations from speakers involved in careers which harness the subject; and visits/events linked to their subject area. In turn, this enables the student to grow their knowledge and understanding of a subject beyond the realms of the classroom, creating a foundation from which they can build aspirations for the future.