Download our FREE smartphone app today!
Posted on April 5th 2019
As we reach the end of the Spring Term, it is hard to believe the Academy only opened in September. The students are very settled and they can confidently call it ‘their academy’. I am very proud of everything they have achieved.
This term there have been many highlights, here are a few:
- The students have all taken part in a Computer Science workshop where they have had the opportunity to design and code computer games using Kodu Game Lab and the WHEN/DO coding language. The workshop gently introduces event-driven programming concepts, incorporating a mix of learning objectives and coding challenges which progressively became more advanced as topics were completed.
- There have been a number of sporting successes. The boys came 1st in a Harris indoor athletics competition, the girls came 2nd in the AFC Wimbledon Girls’ Futsal Tournament, all our teams won the Tri-cluster Table Tennis tournament beating Harris Sutton and Harris Morden and the girls’ netball team won the netball competition for our region. The girls’ netball team will now have the opportunity to play at The Copper Box stadium in the finals.
- We have set up a pen pal project with two schools in Spain and plan to organise a language visit to Spain next academic year.
- Our field day this term has been a visit to the Tate Modern where the students immersed themselves in a number of pieces of Art.
- Our links with Kings College Wimbledon have been very positive and the feedback on our students has been that they are very engaged in their learning and a pleasure to teach. I have also set up some collaboration with Wimbledon High School (GDST Girls’ school) for next year.
- We continue to have a drive for being healthy and it was great to see the students making smoothies and learning different strategies on how to have a healthy body and healthy mind.
You will find details of all our highlights on twitter @HAWimbledon
We have set up or parents’ association which will be known as the WPA (Wimbledon Parents’ Association). I would like to thank all of you who are part of the committee or have helped out in different ways; it is much appreciated. Congratulations to the committee for organising a splendid International Spectacular last night. It was great to see everyone trying different food and enjoying themselves. The aim of the WPA is to help raise money for the school and organise social events for families to come together. Please continue to contact the school directly for any questions or queries you may have.
I have had a very busy term recruiting new teachers for next year and am pleased to announce that I have recruited eleven excellent teachers. We will have new teachers in every department who will add to our outstanding team. I am sure you will join me in thanking all the staff for their outstanding commitment, energy and enthusiasm they bring to the school.
The new extra-curricular timetable is now on the website. The main changes are linked to sport as we move to the more traditional summer sports of athletics, cricket and tennis. Extra-curricular clubs will finish at 4.15pm but the library will remain open until 4.30pm for any students who want to stay in school to complete homework. All students need to sign up for at least one activity at the start of next term.